Mother's Union - MU
I can do all things through CHRIST who strengthens me. (Phill: 4:13)
Mission and Vision Statement
To promote the well-being of families world-wide as a Christian organization and in the individual country.
It is a world-wide Anglican organization which is concerned with all aspects of Christian family life. The purpose of it being specially concerned with all that strengthens and preserves marriage and Christian life.
The Mother's Union was founded in 1876 by an English woman, Mary Sumner. When her first child was born, she was overwhelmed by what she saw as the awesome responsibility of parents, not only in caring for their children's physical well-being, but also for their spiritual nurturing and growth. The Mother's Union was started in Kenya in 1918 by European ladies who had accompanied their husbands when they came as settlers, Government offcials or as Church leaders.
With an aim of advancing Christianity in the spheres of marriage and family life, the Mother's Union has continued to realise this through the following:
- Members hold conferences, seminars and training sessions, including marriage preparation, in their branches and dioceses; to uphold Christ's teaching on the nature of marriage and to promote its wider understanding in the Church.
- In encouraging parents to bring up their children in the faith and life of the church, members hold family life education on parenting and give practical support through visits and material.
- Members also pray daily through a wave of prayer for fellow members around the world; which helps to maintain a world-wide fellowship of Christians, united in prayer, worships and service.
- In view of promoting conditions in society, to facilitate a stable family life and for the protection of children; members have continued to participate and pioneer community development programmes. For instance - self-help projects where they share issues affecting them and to a greater extent initiate small-scale projects where they support members financially at the group level.
- For families already faced with adversity, members offer practical support, counseling and prayers.
This is open to all who have been baptized in the name of the Holy Trinity and who declare their support for the aims and objectives of the society.
It is represented in 29 dioceses of the Anglican Church of Kenya. It has a national office which co-ordinates activities for all its members nation-wide. Each diocese has a committee which, with the assistance of the employed worker, is able to reach any potential group.
Mother's Union School
The Mother's Union of St. Peter's cathedral started a school project, the Mother's Union school in...
MU Events and Notices
Women are supportive and act as the neck of the family. Godly women and mothers hold their families together through prayers and hard work. Join the Mother's Union and learn God's ways of supporting your children and husbands. kindly register with Lay Reader Alice Gichuki.